Top priority: Preventing the spread of fire
With a flame retardant foam tape, we help making elevator landing doors comply with fire protection guidelines
16 Jul 2021
A fire in any building is always an emergency, but can unfortunately not always be prevented. If it happens, it is a matter of utmost importance to prevent fire from spreading throughout the building.
Fire safety standards and codes define measurements to stop or slow the spread of fire, providing critical escape time, and saving property and assets.
This includes special regulations for safety in and around elevators (e.g. EN 81-58:2018-05). All material used must comply with corresponding fire protection guidelines. But - as we all know - elevators should not be used in case of fire. Then why do they play a crucial role when it comes to preventing the spread of fire?
Elevator landing doors play a critical role in fire protection, because they help to stop fire from spreading from one level in a building to the next through the elevator shaft.
If flames spreading on one level of a building reach the inside of an elevator, the elevator shaft will act as a chimney and funnel the fire up and down throughout the building, reaching other floors as well. Now if the elevator landing door plays such a critical role, of course all included material needs to comply with the fire retardancy regulations as well.
Let's take a look at stiffener bars on elevator landing doors. They are implemented to prevent deformation of the doors and add stability. They can be made out of different materials – raw aluminum, powder-coated aluminum, and steel are very common. On lower quality doors, riveting or welding is typically the fastening method of choice. On rather high-quality doors, adhesive tape can be used to mount the stiffener bars, which enhances the overall optical appearance and does not cause damage to the bar like riveting or welding does.
- Secure bond throughout the lifetime of the landing door
- Fire retardancy so that the whole door complies with fire regulations
- Components ensuring reduced smoke toxicity in case of fire
- Easy application process
- Solutions supporting light-weight constructions
- Peel adhesion level and dynamic shear strength ensure safe bond
- Adhesive's unique acrylic chemistry permanently adheres to a variety of surface
- Halogen-free fire retardant for reduced smoke toxicity, REACH and RoHS conformity
- Easy handling and fast application process thanks to a special liner release coating and a process with no required cure time (providing immediate handling strength)
- Soft and flexible 1 mm PE foam tape
- Superior conformability on rough surfaces, compensating for any tolerances
- Especially light-weight: 75% weight reduction compared to competitor solution
- Superior shock absorption properties
tesa® 45001 FR complies with:
- FAR Part 25, § 25.853 (a), Appendix F, Part I, para. (a)(1)(ii)
- UL94 HBF - HF1
- EN 81-58:2003-12 - Safety rules for the construction and installation of lifts - Examination and tests - Part 58: Landing doors fire resistance test
Test certificates available upon request (please use contact form below)