Strong double sided tape with thick acrylic foam that provides a powerful and long-lasting bond across all industries and surfaces. An ideal tape for permanent mounting in various surfaces with dissimilar materials, including on walls.
Strong Double Sided Tapes For Industrial And Home Use
Due to their high and long-lasting adhesive strength, double sided tapes allow objects to be quickly and easily fixed to a wide range of different surfaces. Whether you are looking for a temporary or a long-lasting mounting solution, tesa offers a range of permanent and removable double sided tapes to suit both industrial and household applications.
Double Sided Tapes Uses
Double sided tapes are used for mounting, bonding, and sealing in many manufacturing industries. This includes the automotive industry, where the use of heavy duty double sided tape for trim, treadplate, badge and emblem mounting is the preferred method of fixture. Double sided splicing tapes are also widely used in paper, newsprint and corrugated board production industries.
Compared to using screws and rivets, there are no weak spots when using double sided tape, as stresses are evenly distributed across the bonded area. Futhermore, there are no health and safety considerations as with welding. Double sided tapes are safe and simple to use, and can also be presented in specific die-cut shapes to aid more precise application.
Types of double sided tape based on backing material:
When choosing the right double sided tape, one of the key features to consider is the backing.
- Tissue backing – The non-woven backings are extremely thin and flexible. They are highly conformable making them suitable for flexible and uneven surfaces. Non-woven double sided tape is widely used for mounting small signs and nameplates as well as textiles and fabrics in the blinds industry.
- Cloth backing – The Interwoven cloth backing allows optimal adhesive coating, making them particularly well suited for mounting rough fibrous surfaces and fabrics. The rubber adhesive systems also allow clean removal without leaving behind adhesive residues (on select products), which can be critical for applications in exhibition centres such as temporary flooring.
- Filmic backing – A thin yet very strong backing that provides superior bonding properties on flat surfaces. The range also includes transparent and optically clear options which are idea when mounting on glass or translucent surfaces. High temperature resistance can also be achieved when combined with an acrylic adhesive, making them well suited for outdoor applications.
- PE foam backing – The polyethylene backings are available in a variety of thicknesses to ensure that gaps can be effectively filled and also to offer shock absorption properties. The high inner strength of our PE foam backings makes them well suited for a wide range of mounting applications, such as mirrors, splashbacks, signs, trims and profiles.
- tesa ® ACXplus acrylic core – When it comes to critical mounting applications, tesa ® ACXplus offers the ultimate performance. Equipped with extremely high adhesion power and inner strength, this backing provides the peace of mind that at a secure bond will be achieved that will continue to last. On top of this, the viscoelastic nature enables the backing dissipate a range of stresses, such as different thermal expansion rates, windload and cold shock.
What other factors are important in choosing a double sided tape?
When choosing the right double sided tape it is also important to consider colour, heat resistance, bonding strength and tape thickness.
tesa double sided tapes are available in transparent, translucent, black and white. Transparent and optically clear double sided tape are ideal when mounting on glass and windows.
- Heat resistance.
Temperature is a critical element that can affect the strength of the bond. Our double sided range has product options that can withstand up to 250°C in temperature, making them ideal for even the most challenging outdoor applications.
- Bond strength.
A critical consideration for load bearing applications. With different adhesive formulations and backing configurations, including ACXplus high bond tape, a secure bond can be achieved.
- Tape thickness.
Thickness of the backing and adhesive mass can affect the bond strength and performance, as well as compensate for gap filling requirements. tesa tape ranges from thin double sided tape with 100 µm, to thick double sided tape with 3,000 µm.
Is double sided tape removable?
Certain double sided tapes are removable, others are permanent. Some foam, film, and cloth double sided tapes are removable. Examples of double sided tape with easy, residue-free removal are tesa ® 656xx Removable Series foam tapes and tesa Bond & Detach® range. Removable double sided tapes are ideal for indoor applications where flexibility is required, such as the mounting of wall decorations.
What is the strongest double sided tape?
The strongest double sided tape is double sided foam tape with acrylic core adhesive. The adhesive and backing material has viscoelasticity properties, which maintains strong bond even on low surface energy substrates. The strong double sided tapes also offer stress dissipation and outstanding temperature and weather resistance.
Our heavy duty double sided tape is tesa ACXplus high bond tape. The tape is suitable for permanent and/or outdoor applications, and offer long-lasting resistance to UV light, water and ageing.