Exciting opportunity to be part of strategic growth in North America, right here in northern Grand Rapids, MI!
tesa tape is a household name in Europe but is not well known in the US because our consumer products are only sold abroad. Instead, we are a leader in the development of technically advanced products for several diverse US industries. Our Sparta site is expanding again, but this time will include a Regional Customer Solutions Center and need talented people to lead in the development of products for the future.
The Product Developer (PD) is responsible to design, plan, coordinate, conduct, evaluate and document development activities in the field of single-sided and double-sided tapes and auxiliary products. The PD is responsible for implementing new and experimental products. The PD is responsible for maintenance of a defined part of the product assortment, including raw and intermediate materials. The PD will visit suppliers and customers on a regular basis in order to extend and intensify the product knowledge and to understand our customer applications, the requirements and his pain points. The PD works closely with the International Product Development groups in Hamburg, Germany and China, and with the relevant national and international Marketing groups, and serves as liaison with Sales and customers.
What you will do:
- Lead and coordinate feasibilities and product development projects meeting technical, price and timeline requirements.
- Interpret laboratory and field test studies and compose professional reports in an understandable manner.
- Analyze complex results generated by standard and non-standard test methods.
- Independently operate and maintain all relevant lab equipment.
- Evaluate, maintain and implement raw materials.
- Interface with customers to validate performance of samples and new products during the initiation and development phase of a project.
- Support and consult with Marketing and Sales functions, as well as customers, in product assortment knowledge and product related testing.
- Evaluate, maintain and implement third party products and services.
- Create a network with adjacent functions (Sales, Marketing, Product Development-HQ) as necessary to accomplish the project targets.
- Monitor competitive environment in marketplace.
- Actively and independently investigate new product development opportunities and define targets for development projects
- Take active steps to bring projects forward, identify roadblocks and offer complete solutions.
- Work within the framework of tesa Quality Standards.
- Uphold company safety, environmental, quality and laboratory standards.
What you will need:
- PhD or Master’s in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry and related technical experience.
- Market-relevant experience in similar or related field preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of mathematics, including general statistics is required.
- Must be PC proficient in Windows/Microsoft Office.
- Leadership experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills for interaction with all internal and external customers.
- Ability to stand at a workstation and/or move throughout the facility during the majority of the day.
- Requires normal lifting, use of both hands, correctable vision and lack of color-blindness.
- Must be able to travel by air/auto as required, including internationally.
tesa tape Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, EEO/AA/m/f/vets/disabled